Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Dear Carmen, 
Some summer I want all of us to come here together. That is the happiest thing I can imagine. The first day I walked about a million steps down the cliffs to a tiny fishing village called Ammoudi on the Caldera mean "cauldron." It´s this body of water that filled in after a monster volcano exploded and sank most of the island. After I painted these pretty Greek boats, it got to be broiling hot, so I stripped down my bathing suit and dove right into the clear, cold water. 
I made a painting for you. It´t the bell tower right here in Oia. My shy grandpa, who doesn´t speak English, came around and studied my painting for a long time. He nodded approvingly, which was pretty cute. Effie and I rode mopeds to Fira, the biggest village on the island, and drank unbeliebably strong coffe at an outdoor cafe. We were both strung out on caffeine. I got anxious and silent, and Effie flirted outrageoustly with the waiters and even random passersby (passerbys?). There´s this guy Kostos. He walks past our house about six times a day. He keeps trying to catch my eye and start a conversation, but I won´t play. My grandmother´s dearest hope is that we´ll fall in love. What could be less romantic that that? Other than that, nothing really big has happened. Nothing big enough for the Pants. They´re still waiting here patiently. I can´t wait to get a letter from you. The mail is so slow here. I wish I had a computer. I hope you and Al are having the best time. 

                                                                 Love you,
                                                                      Lena

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.